What are cookies and how are they used? Cookies are text strings transferred by a web server (i.e. the website) to the user Internet browser, which automatically saves them on the computer and transfers them back to the server when the website is accessed. By default, almost all web browsers are configured to automatically accept cookies.
There are different types of cookies depending on their characteristics and functions. They can be stored on the user PC or mobile device for varying periods of time:
- “session” cookies are saved on user computers for mere technical-functional needs and for the transmission of session identifiers to ensure safe and efficient browsing. They are deleted at the end of the “session” (hence the name) by closing the browser. This type of cookie avoids the need for other IT techniques that could potentially jeopardise user privacy when navigating;
- “persistent” cookies remain stored on the computer’s hard drive until expiry or cancellation by users/visitors. Through persistent cookies, visitors who access a website (or any other user using the same computer) are automatically recognised at each visit. Persistent cookies fulfil many functions in the interest of users (such as remembering the navigation language or the items placed in an online shopping basket). However, persistent cookies can also be used for promotional or profiling purposes (e.g. to deliver personalised advertising and to analyse and monitor visitor behaviour). Their use must be approved by the user. Visitors can set their computer browser so that it accepts/refuses all cookies or to receive a notice each time a cookie is proposed to assess whether to accept it or not. Users can anyway modify the default setting and disable cookies (i.e. block them altogether) by selecting a higher protection level.
First and third-party cookies
These two types of cookies (session and persistent) are divided into:
- “first-party cookies” when they are managed directly by the owner and/or website manager.
- “third-party cookies” when they are managed outside the website visited by the user.
List of cookies on this website
|Cookie||Description||Type of Cookie||Origin and owner||Link Policy|
|JSESSIONID||Enables the recognition by the user.||Technical||maggi-technology.com|
|Youtube||Youtube, a video sharing tool developed by Google Inc.;
Google may use the collected data in its advertising network.
|HubSpot||In-app usage tracking - Used for anonymous statistics on how the users the users navigate the site||Third-party cookies||hubspot.com|
How can I disable cookies?
You can temporarily block cookies by browsing in incognito mode:
- Google Chrome e Google Chrome Mobile
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari
- Apple Safari Mobile
Below is the procedure to disable cookies for the main browsers: